1. I can remember getting done with super hot summer softball practices and going to Lloyd’s with my dad for an ICEE. Although now I’m not supposed to eat a lot of sugar, ICEEs will always hold a special place in my heart because of the memories they hold…all memories that include SUMMER. I would also say I am an ICEE pro and know how to fill the cup to get maximum strawberry and coke yumminess.
2. 2 weeks of camp left. WHAT. It’s hard to believe we are almost done. It’s been incredible watching God work in the lives of so many children here. I may catch myself complaining sometimes because of the heat, but WOW is it worth it or what?
3. I finally finished the book “The Zookeeper’s Wife.” I also love finishing a book and then watching the movie to see if what I pictured in my head the whole time is similar! Now I’m reading “The Red Tent.” It’s about womanhood in biblical times from the perspective of Dinah, Jacob’s daughter, and really interesting.
4. I forgot how much I love to read
5. I still never know if you underline, italicize, or put in quotes, book titles. I just quote everything and hope everyone else has that same problem and we’re all in this together haha.
6. The Camp Chyoca 50th Reunion was last night and it went swimmingly. Even without knowing a ton of people it was fun to watch people’s faces just fill with joy as they saw old friends.
8. John Luke and I have got a trip coming up soon and I am OH so excited!! My best friend and her husband are coming as well! Any guesses on where we’re going?!
9. My grandmother’s birthday was yesterday so today my family drove over for church with us and then we all went to lunch together to celebrate my Nannie. I love it when Teagon sits on my lap in church…he is the best snuggler. And John Luke likes it when he’s in his lap because he says he’s like a little heater when it’s cold in the sanctuary haha.
10. I love the new service our church has now. Today our friend Zach was preaching and he said “we don’t see the blessings of God because we are stuck in this pessimistic mind. Let’s not forget about the little details.” That really it me. Camp life is really, really good, but it’s also really, really exhausting especially in Louisiana heat. And like Zach said, we’ve all got a “thought life.” Even if I’m not complaining out loud, I can be thinking it. It’s easy for me to think about all the negative things but this week I am challenging myself to try to look for the good in EVERYTHING and not let the negative thoughts roll. I am challenging myself to “take every thought captive” and bring it into submission. Instead of hating the heat, being thankful for the sunshine! Just like we say at camp, “Let’s turn this negative situation into a positive situation!” So let’s look for the good and choose joy!!